Middlefield family loses home with no insurance

The Middlefield man who lost his home in a fire 11 days ago doesn’t have insurance to cover his home. Bill Miller said the accidental fire was started by a candle and his grandchildren are to be commended for saving everyone in the family’s life. The home on Route 166 was called in about 7:20 a.m. on the 9th, and Miller said the fire department did a great job in fighting the fire. He has knocked down what was left. Some of the family of 10 are living in a camper at the house site for now and others are staying with family in Milford. Donation cans are set up in Cherry Valley, Milford , Cooperstown and Oneonta to help the family rebuild. The Middlefield Fire Department is holding a Chinese auction on July 30.